About our carbon forests
Since the Greenfleet program commenced in 1997, we have planted around 7.5 million (7,500,000) native trees, across more than 350 sites, on behalf of our individual and business supporters.
The ultimate reason for planting these trees is to create healthy forests that recapture carbon from the atmosphere.
Greenfleet works to create forests in areas of environmental concern, putting back (where possible) the mix of native species that would have been present in the local area prior to land clearing. In addition to absorbing greenhouse gases, these forests also help to:
- reduce salinity and erosion
- improve water quality in rivers and streams
- provide habitat for native wildlife
- provide windbreaks and shelter for crops and livestock
Where possible, the trees are propagated from seed collected in the local area and we plan our planting activities around local climatic patterns, planting after rainfall events and using natural rainfall to help to get the forests off to a good start.
Our aim is to establish self-sustaining forests to recapture carbon. We aim to recapture an average of 268 t CO2-e per hectare over 20 years, and we do this by planting at an initial rate of between 750 and 1,200 stems per hectare. Once the forest establishes, there is a natural thinning of some trees. Greenfleet makes allowance for this natural 'thinning' process at the time of initial planting. Further, as the forests mature there is some natural regeneration from seeds dropped by mature trees.
In 2011, Greenfleet planted approximately 570,000 trees across more than 700 hectares, visited more than 300 sites to inspect and monitor our forests, was named as a finalist in the UNAA World Environment Day Awards, and established a large iconic project on an anabranch of the Murray River in NSW.
We have recent planting projects in Victoria, Queensland and New South Wales. We also have forests in the ACT, South Australia and Western Australia, however no new planting sites have been established in these states for the past few years.
We are continuously seeking land for planting projects in all Australian states, including Tasmania. Visit our Landowners section for more information if you would like Greenfleet forests planted on your property.
Participating in the carbon market
Greenfleet is actively participating in Australia’s new mandatory carbon market being administered by the Australian government via the Clean Energy Regulator.
To be a participant there are many steps that need to be undertaken – below is just a few of the things we have done.
- Greenfleet is a Recognised Offset Entity under the Carbon Farming Initiative (CFI) and has a Registry Account with the Department of Climate Change and Energy Efficiency.
- Our subsidiary organisation Greenfleet AFSL Pty Ltd holds an Australian Financial Services License (AFSL nr 427552). Greenfleet Australia is an Authorised Representative (nr 432103) under this AFSL.
- We have submitted several of our existing sites to the Clean Energy Regulator to be approved as CFI projects with more in the pipeline!
Greenfleet can generate, provide and sell ACCU’s to wholesale clients in the compliance market and large emitters who have a liability under the carbon tax.
Use our interactive map to find out more about some of Greenfleet's revegetation projects.